Chris Christie steps down as US Attorney fueling speculation that he will run for Governor versus Gov Jon Corzine or Richard Codey if President Obama mercifully rids this state of Corzine for an administration job. Whether Christie runs or not or some other up and coming NJ Republican, running a campaign in NJ is extremely challenging. We are a diverse state with large population centers in Hudson County, Newark, and Camden/Trenton plus we have the shore and the farming areas like where I live in Long Valley NJ. We have a major newspaper in the Star Ledger but unfortunately TV is tough because you have to buy in the NYC and Philadelphia MSAs. Finally if Corzine is still in office, he has boatloads of money so what's a NJ Republican supposed to do....
OLD SCHOOL FACELIFT #10 - CHRIS CHRISTIE RUNNING FOR NJ GOVERNOR
- Build a website today. Why? Besides the obvious reasons, there are plenty of real-time NJ issues like the bailout, unemployment, taxes, NJ budget and you need to get on top of those issues NOW while people are paying attention.
- Buy a list of NJ Voters - You'd instantly have a starting database of emails, names, issues, voter registration, etc to start your marketing right. You'd also get an idea of what your potential base of voters are and where you need to do voter registration.
- Social Networking - Start building your base of supporters now. Obama didn't wake up in October 2008 with millions of supporters. It was started years ago. Blogger outreach is critical and not just "A" list bloggers.
- Your NJ Media Strategy Is This - Between now and September 2009, earned media on TV and prints, internet media via Google and other search networks, social networking, and direct mail only for donations when it proves out. After Labor Day you could go into TV if you have more than enough money.
- Online Strategist as Senior Advisor - No in NJ it definitely should not be the typical media consultant. TV in this market costs too much money and the correlation between TV and behavior is sketchy now. There are far more efficient ways of political marketing and you need someone at the Senior Level that understands how the internet works and why new media strategies are needed.