Well the NJ General Election for Governor has started and Corzine's campaign has wasted no time in borrowing Obama's Marketing playbook. I've already received about 3 long emails from them plus links to videos on their YouTube video channel (I can't bring myself to link to anything to do with that campaign, so sorry).
Their latest state of the campaign video is actually a compete joke when they talked about how brave Corzine was after his accident which was self inflicted when he refused to wear a seat belt while his driver was speeding on a highway on his way to an Imus interview. As a reminder, here's Corzine's accident story so I find it appalling that his campaign would in any way shape or form describe him as being brave.
Anyway, Corzine the Governor has 9200 Facebook friends while Corzine the Candidate has about 1900 friends. So this got me thinking....
- Corzine's campaign studied Obama's campaign playbook and will try hard to duplicate it
- However, Corzine is well hated and is already trailing Christie in the early polls. Corzine's approval rating is at 35% and his unfavorable rate is holding steady in the mid 50s. I don't remember ever seeing Obama with those kind of ratings.
- Corzine can't give a speech and can't even pass himself off as a man of the people
- and finally, it is extremely hard to run a grass roots networking campaign when you don't have the charisma of Obama and can't generate passion among the voters when you are well hated by the electorate.
However, what Corzine does have going for him is a crap load of money and President Obama. If you watch any of their boring, poorly shot videos or read any of their novel sized emails you'll see that
- They will not run on his crappy job, economy, and spending record
- They will push the linkage with Obama and Biden
- They will pump up Obama's spending, stimulus plan and feature Corzine as a friend to the administration
- Tie into anything to do with Obama - my guess is Corzine will only frequent the same restaurants as Obama and start smoking the same cigarettes.
- Paint Christie as a friend to the "vast right wing conservative conspiracy" even so much as linking him to Sarah Palin even though there is little to no evidence of this
Corzine will do anything and spend anything to win. He will have President Obama with him, so I do hope the Christie campaign starts quickly on their internet strategy, otherwise we are just handing over that territory to someone who does not deserve reelection.
BTW - Hat tip to my friend Mark. The knuckleheads at camp Corzine prove my points with their "ineptitudeness" on natural search results. Clearly they know how important natural search is from Obama's marketing playbook, they just don't have the experience to the plan into correct action. Here's a screen shot of the natural search results for the keyword "jon corzine". Clearly the Corzine campaign will be the case study of marketing like President Obama without Obama's skills as a campaigner or without the experts who ran his eMarketing campaign.