I just finished a fun interview with Micah Sifry over at Personal Democracy Forum and I used one of my favorite lines which is Google Is The Great Money Equalizer. I also touch on this subject in my keynote next week in London for Econsultancy's Future of Digital Marketing conference.
Basically the idea behind this is that Google puts so many tools at your disposal there is no reason a smaller marketer can't take on and compete with a big marketer. I perfected this while at Harrisdirect when we competed with the big players like Schwab and Fidelity and one could argue that we did quite well with Senator McCain's Primary and General Election campaigns. Anyway, here's why Google is the great money equalizer:
- Keywords - everyone's keywords are different and depending on your strategy you may or may not choose certain words to bid on or you might even focus just on long tail words.
- Quality Score - Google rewards your smart, relevant campaigns with good Quality Score so even though you might not have as much money as your competitor you can out Google them.
- Free Conversion Tracking - using Google's own tools you'll know how effective your marketing is and once again if you are setting and meeting your own conversion goals, you can be smarter on how you use your marketing dollars.
- Click to Play Video Ads - have a commercial you are running or perhaps that's too expensive? You can add click to play video ads on Google's content network where you can have your ad watched for free and only pay per click when they go to your website.
- Geo-targeting - zipcodes, states, MSA, major cities, or even hand drawn targeted areas, you can dominate a target market for no additional costs.
- Behavior Targeting - even though Google is not as major of a supplier of Behavioral Targeting as say - Yahoo or Ad Networks, you can use age, income, gender, demos to reach a specific audience. Throw in content targeting off your keywords and you can finely target for no additional money.
- Placement Targeting - Again for no additional fees you can hand select sites where your ads appear and then get good placements based on an ongoing auction process. Are you just looking forward to buying crap impressions on MySpace? Have no fear you can usually get on that "site" for about 10 cents per 1000.
- Self Directed - You can turn your campaign off and on or even increase it all with the click of your mouse. No more calling into an account exec who won't honor a 24 hour cancellation clause.
- Google Surge - Dominate your competition in a short, contained burst across 80% of the internet.
That's why Google is the great equalizer. Where else can you get service like that for no increased rates and no commitments?