I've written a series of post regarding the year's NJ Gubernatorial race and up until recently the lack of online advertising that I've seen has been disappointing. That is until the Jon Corzine campaign started to put the Obama online advertising playbook into action. The Chris Christie campaign however, remains in the internet advertising fog of war with the occasional email message or Facebook post. This of course has me very concerned because this state needs to make Corzine a one term and done Governor. Here's what I'm seeing:.
- Facebook - Both candidates have low involvement. Corzine 09 page has 1665 supporters while his Governor page has 9588. Christie has 4681 fans. Christie's numbers are a nice jump since the last time I looked but Corzine has lost some (no surprise, but more on that later). I do get messages from Christie, but few and far between.
- Email Marketing - The Corzine campaign is good for about 3 per week while the Christie campaign maybe sends one out once per week and that's very sad.
- YouTube - Check out the pages of both candidates. Not much going on here for either of them.
- Paid Search - Corzine has launched a newbie style paid search campaign with only minimum changes to the text ads and clicks driven to the homepage (very search marketing 101). However, Christie is doing ZERO marketing here which is scary. The only support he is getting is from John McCain's Country First PAC (hmm I wonder who is directing that) and some enterprising 529 groups. BTW - this image shows that Corzine is advertising on Christie's name.
- Display Advertising - Corzine is already running them and while they are decently constructed showing some planning for the ads, they once again show a lack of creative optimization and click through to the homepage. Christie - ZILCH but support from similar folks from the paid search area.
- Website - Corzine's Quantcast profile shows a heavy slant towards wealthy women while Christie shows no real demo patters. The site traffic screen shot shows that Corzine's campaign's web traffic growth has exploded (I wonder what online advertising does for you?).
- Polling Data shows that Christie is still ahead but Corzine has reversed his downward spiral and his poll growth increase surprising looks like his website growth. Plus, most Jersey folks aren't paying attention now and are thinking about the shore which makes the numbers unreliable.
What does all mean? Well Corzine will be the text book example of what happens if a candidate without Obama's charisma, grass roots support, imagery, and likability does by using Obama's marketing playbook. Hopefully the Christie campaign has more modern marketing tools in their tool belt come Labor Day but it will be an uphill battle given Corzine early foray into online marketing.