We threw an enormous party last night in our home for our local friends and family. It reminded me of our old New Year's Eve party we used to throw, except last night was just drinks and dessert. The party was over at about 1:30 which was completely crazy, but thankfully it was a good send off for an otherwise uninspiring year.
- The economy as everyone knows really tanked. This affected me in a number of ways including vacancies in our office building in Union, Dad's house still for sale, not as many new client calls for my business, and several friends and family still out of work
- Dad's house still being for sale is probably my greatest stress point. I haven't received a single offer and since July I've dropped the sale price of the house by $300K; I don't have much room left in the sale price unless the bank allows me to sell it short. This house besides draining monthly expenses, which is a killer, doesn't allow me to close down Dad's estate and leaves me in limbo.
- Staying on Dad's estate, I've also seen the worst in people (really vultures) who just wanted some of Dad's money - the bills just keep rolling in and now I just toss them out. Also, some of these vultures were supposedly friends of Dad's but as I've learned they were closer to low life pond scum and just hung around because it appeared that Dad had some money (it turned out he did not when you take into the depressed value of his home and the vacancies in the building).
- Speaking of friends, I've met a lot of great people in Long Valley and Califon whom I enjoy seeing; plus the community at our Temple in Flanders.
- We did take a lot of vacations this year which were probably the highlights...
- Disney between Christmas and New Year's last year (it spilled over to this year)
- St. Croix with the whole family which was "paid for" by using our American Express Membership Rewards points for the week stay at The Buccaneer Hotel
- In May a business trip to England to keynote eConsultancy's 2009 conference
- Down the shore in July for a working vacation in Avalon NJ
- Back to Disney over Halloween
- Political and non-political work is still very interesting and we completed an extension on the house for a great new home office
- More family health issues which did add to the stress