As some of you already know, I got my iPad 3G the day it was made available to the public. At first, it was a slow start with the iPad but now, I'm loving life. A lot of people have asked me what my thoughts are - so without getting too techie - here you go...
- Is the iPad a giant iPhone? Kind of. However, I actually view the iPhone as a mini iPad. When you go from the iPad to the iPhone, the iPhone feels small and hard to use.
- The screen is really beautiful. Watching movies and TV shows on the iPad is a blast. I'd rather watch them on my iPad than my laptop. Not even close.
- Typing is ok on the screen. As long as you either buy the Apple case that goes with it or the keyboard, you won't be able to type as quickly as your laptop or PC.
- The battery life is fantastic. I tested it out this weekend when we lost power Saturday night at 9:30 though today, Monday at 12:30 PM. Now, I'm not saying (really writing) it lasted that long, but it lasted for hours while my iPhone lasted about 6 hours and the laptop about 2.
- I tried working with it today and it was quite good. No problems opening files or using Google Docs but of course I couldn't make any files. The iWorks suite that Apple hypes looks awesome but unfortunately you can't save or export into Office Compatible files which is a bummer.
- Reading a book is almost as good as actually holding a paper copy.
- I LOVE THE WSJ app. Yes I pay the $17.95 per month fee. I don't care. Reading the Journal is fun again.I do wish there were more magazine applications. Today the selection is kind of boring for me; I'd like to see Wired or Sports Illustrated.
- I did sign up for the 3G service while our electricity was out. It is awesome. Download the ABC Application and bang you have instant access to TV shows.
- As opposed to downloading apps for the iPhone which was really just a cool factor, iPad apps are must owns. I look every free moment for new apps. Also, don't bother downloading iPhone apps for your iPad - they look crappy and have a small screen resolution. The App store for the iPad is what will make Kindle and any other tablet except for what Google might do, obsolete.
- Finally that Flash problem you've read about. Not that big of a deal.